1 11:07 < newz2000> cjohnston: are you leading the meeting?
   2 11:07 < cjohnston> I can
   3 11:07 < cjohnston> hehe
   4 11:07 < newz2000> :-) Be my guest
   5 11:08 < cjohnston> dpm: basically the idea behind this project is not to translate the ubuntu.com website, but provide the user with links to provide them with more assistance in their prefered language based upon their browser defined preferred language
   6 11:09 < dpm> ok, I'm here now, I apologise for the delay
   7 11:09 < cjohnston> no  problem dpm :-)
   8 11:10 < cjohnston> we are going to need help from both web developers, loco teams and translators in order to make this project a success
   9 11:10 < dpm> cjohnston, yes, that goes inline with a conversation I had with newz2000 some time ago. My preference would be to have all the website translated, but I understand the technical difficulties behind it
  10 11:10 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has quit [Quit: alejandraobregon]
  11 11:10 < newz2000> dpm: cjohnston will be leading this project
  12 11:10 < newz2000> I'll be facilitating it of course
  13 11:11 < dpm> cjohnston, you can expect all help you need form me, needles to say, I'm passionate about translations :)
  14 11:11 < cjohnston> never would have guessed :-P
  15 11:11 < dpm> :-)
  16 11:11 < dpm> cjohnston, can you post the link to the spec as a reminder again, please?
  17 11:12 < cjohnston> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/WebsiteLocalization/Roadmap
  18 11:12 < dpm> great, thanks
  19 11:13 < cjohnston> I of course am not a programmer, nor do i know any other languages... so I will definatly be in need of assistance
  20 11:13 < newz2000> So what do you feel the next step is?
  21 11:13 < cjohnston> Right now I feel like the next step is to start getting a team together...
  22 11:13 < cjohnston> That include all of the aspects needed... 
  23 11:14 < dpm> right, sounds good to me
  24 11:14 < cjohnston> My thinking, but I don't know is that we will need some sort of database that has information for each language, and then have the code interact with that to pull the information
  25 11:15 < cjohnston> but we will need people who can speak the other languages to help provide the information for the database... as well as someone to create the database..
  26 11:15 < cjohnston> if a database isnt the best option though, i dont really know... so that will be something that i will be looking for help from my team with
  27 11:16 < newz2000> There are a few different options, we can hammer that out when we have our technical meeting
  28 11:16 < dpm> cjohnston, what's your vision, though? What do you expect a let's say, Spanish user to first see when he/she gets to ubuntu.com?
  29 11:16 < newz2000> you picked the hardest one. :-)
  30 11:17 < dpm> :) just to have a rough idea
  31 11:17 < cjohnston> dpm: The vision was kind-of given to me... heh.. 
  32 11:17 < newz2000> Lets use Turkish as an example
  33 11:17 < dpm> right
  34 11:18 < cjohnston> They will see the ubuntu.com website as it sits now... but it will have a "box" area which will provide some basic information on finding help in their language.. possibly under the search bar I believe is that newz2000 had mentioned
  35 11:19 < newz2000> It will be very small and link to a page w/ more information that is entirely in Turkish
  36 11:19 < dpm> ok, that's fine, I just wanted to have a general idea
  37 11:19 < cjohnston> newz2000: are you thinking like one or two lines of text?
  38 11:19 < newz2000> like 2-5 words
  39 11:19 < cjohnston> ok.. gotcha
  40 11:20 < newz2000> The reason Spanish is tricky, and where dpm can help the most
  41 11:20 < newz2000> is cases where there are multiple parallel resources
  42 11:20 < cjohnston> right
  43 11:20 < dpm> I see we're you are going
  44 11:20 < newz2000> for example, suppose a peruvian spanish speaker comes to the site
  45 11:20 < newz2000> and there are some great es resources but only limited es-pr resources
  46 11:20 < newz2000> it makes sense to show them the best resources
  47 11:21 < newz2000> not just the es-pr options
  48 11:21 < dpm> there are are umbrella teams for bigger areas, such as a general Spanish resource (and I think also for Brazil). We could reach out to them and make sure they've got a resource which links to each specific area or region
  49 11:22 < dpm> I'll have to look into that
  50 11:23 < newz2000> dpm: are loco team members also translators or are they often two different groups?
  51 11:24 < dpm> newz2000, it varies from team to team. Sometimes they are LoCo members, but even if they are, the translations teams operate truly as subteams
  52 11:24 < dpm> but actually
  53 11:24 < dpm> Thinking of the most active translation teams
  54 11:25 < dpm> at least their coordinators play a significant role in their respective LoCo teams
  55 11:25 < newz2000> ok, that may make communication a little easier
  56 11:25 < newz2000> cjohnston: I think that it may work best for the wiki to be the landing place for these translated pages
  57 11:25 < dpm> and a translation team can obviously contain members from different, remote countries
  58 11:26 < cjohnston> newz2000: thats what i was just thinking.. have the 4-5 word box point to a wiki page in their language which would provide more resources in their language?
  59 11:26 < newz2000> yes
  60 11:26 < newz2000> we'll need to create a template that the teams will translate
  61 11:26 < cjohnston> ya
  62 11:27 < dpm> that I can help with, setting up a template for translation wouldn't be too hard
  63 11:27 < newz2000> but by doing it in the wiki, we have easy editiability and we don't have enforced structure so that teams like ES can deviate in order to communicte their special circumstances
  64 11:27 < cjohnston> correct
  65 11:28 < newz2000> cjohnston: ok so what do we do next?
  66 11:28 < dpm> before further discussing, there's another important point: we're rapidly approaching Lucid, and if community members are working on this, I'm conscious not to put too much work on anyone shortly before release. Were you guys thinking on a particular timeframe?
  67 11:29 < newz2000> post-release
  68 11:29 < newz2000> by at least two weeks
  69 11:29 < newz2000> or early April at the latest
  70 11:29 < pak33m> hey all, cjohnston is having technical duifficulties and will return.
  71 11:30 < pak33m> no really hes right next to me and having trouble with his screen freezing.
  72 11:30 < dpm> pak33m, tell him not to worry :)
  73 11:30 < newz2000> :-) thanks pak33m
  74 11:31 < pak33m> ok... im over here for a minute
  75 11:31 < newz2000> pak33m: what do you think about those dates I mentioned?
  76 11:32 < pak33m> i obviously dont want to take anything away from lucid... but it would be nice to get it done as soon aspossible
  77 11:32 < pak33m> uggh... netbook typing
  78 11:32 < pak33m> those dates sound good to me
  79 11:32 < newz2000> do you want to aim for pre-lucid?
  80 11:33 < dpm> newz2000, I'm not sure pre-lucid would be too realistic, as I still don't quite understand all the work involved
  81 11:33 < pak33m> newz2000: im not sure if prelucid is dooable
  82 11:33 < dpm> I think we should start with a spec
  83 11:33 < newz2000> ok
  84 11:33 < newz2000> I'm very happy to aim for post lucid myself
  85 11:33 < pak33m> im in the same boat as dpm as far as the work involved
  86 11:33 < newz2000> if we were aiming for pre-lucid we'd have to jump through some sizable hurdles asap
  87 11:34 < pak33m> i would like to aim mid/late may if thats fine with you
  88 11:34 < newz2000> That sounds like a good plain in my book
  89 11:34 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has joined #ubuntu-website
  90 11:35 < newz2000> dpm: have you heard if plans for lucid+1's location/date for UDS is set?
  91 11:35 < pak33m> my thoughts are that we need to start putting together a team that has members from all different aspects of our needs
  92 11:35 < pak33m> things we need to do:
  93 11:35 < pak33m> design a mock-up for approval
  94 11:35 < pak33m> create the wiki page template
  95 11:36 < pak33m> have the template translated and have approved resources placed into the wiki pages for each language
  96 11:36 < dpm> I'm not sure there is a public date yet
  97 11:37 < pak33m> design the code that will pull the browser setting from the browser and cross reference it against the information we have gathered to tthen output the information to the ubuntu.com wbesite
  98 11:37 < pak33m> newz2000: are you wanting this to only be on ubuntu.com or ubuntu.com/* for people who dont go straight to ubuntu.com
  99 11:38 < newz2000> ubuntu.com/* definitely
 100 11:38 < pak33m> ok.. cool
 101 11:38 < newz2000> *.ubuntu.com maybe
 102 11:38 < pak33m> newz2000: ok
 103 11:39 < pak33m> this is nice.. i have someone trying to figure out the problem with my laptop while i use his netbook
 104 11:39 < newz2000> :-)
 105 11:39 < newz2000> There is typically a UDS about 2-4 weeks after a release
 106 11:40 < pak33m> newz2000: any comments on the plan above.. or dpm
 107 11:40 < newz2000> so I wonder if we can target a date that helps us to benefit from the excitement/energy around a UDS
 108 11:40 < dpm> pak33m, newz2000, I think before we start creating a team we should write up a spec linked to a blueprint with all the work involved. We have a goal, but I think we need to provide some more information to those wanting to join th team and start helping
 109 11:40 < pak33m> dpm: good point
 110 11:40 < newz2000> I agree
 111 11:41 < dpm> I think we can start with the current page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Website/WebsiteLocalization/Roadmap
 112 11:41 < pak33m> just expand upon it more
 113 11:41 < dpm> yes
 114 11:42 < dpm> just write a high level spec on the wiki
 115 11:42 < dpm> and create a blueprint with some work items
 116 11:42 < dpm> when we've got that, we can announce the project and tell people in more detail what the goal is
 117 11:43 < dpm> they can then join and help refining the work items
 118 11:43 < dpm> and bring in new ideas
 119 11:43 < pak33m> that was part of the point for this meeting to help define some of the things that needed to be done
 120 11:43 < newz2000> I think your high-level list is pretty good
 121 11:43 < newz2000> that you put here into IRC
 122 11:44 < pak33m> ok..
 123 11:44 < pak33m> when i get my computer back i will start working on translating things from here onto the wiki page
 124 11:45 < pak33m> newz2000: where should i create blueprints at..
 125 11:45 < newz2000> does it get tied to a team or a project?
 126 11:45 < pak33m> im not the greates with lp
 127 11:45  * newz2000 isn't either
 128 11:45 < pak33m> project i believe
 129 11:45 < dpm> newz2000, I'd say a project for now
 130 11:46 < pak33m> but then the project needs a driver
 131 11:46 < pak33m> i believe
 132 11:46 < newz2000> ok. We have a team but we probably want a new project
 133 11:46 < dpm> is there any ubuntu-site related project in LP?
 134 11:46 < pak33m> theres website-editors
 135 11:46 < newz2000> that's the team I was thinking of
 136 11:46 < newz2000> the closest project we have is https://launchpad.net/products/ubuntu-website
 137 11:46 < newz2000> oh, that's a product. Is that the same as a project?
 138 11:47 < pak33m> ive never seen a product
 139 11:47 < pak33m> but i dont think so
 140 11:47 < pak33m> http://launchpad.net/gtg is a project i believe
 141 11:47 < pak33m> and then http://launchpad.net/~gtg would be a team
 142 11:48 < newz2000> oh, they are the same
 143 11:48 < newz2000> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-website == https://launchpad.net/products/ubuntu-website
 144 11:48 < pak33m> k
 145 11:48 < dpm> I think a product/project can contain subprojects, IIRC. Product is only the internal name for a project
 146 11:49 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has quit [Quit: alejandraobregon]
 147 11:49 < dpm> so attaching a blueprint to ubuntu-site sounds like a good idea to me
 148 11:49 < newz2000> ok
 149 11:49 < pak33m> ok
 150 11:49 < pak33m> newz2000: stupid question... do i have access to that project?
 151 11:49 < newz2000> I'm not sure
 152 11:50 < newz2000> (though you are the top contributor) :-)
 153 11:50 < pak33m> lol
 154 11:50 < pak33m> then i may
 155 11:50 < pak33m> ill have to look
 156 11:50 < dpm> I think everyone can register blueprints, though
 157 11:50 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has joined #ubuntu-website
 158 11:50 < pak33m> dpm: i have have tried creatinng blueprints on things before and been told i dont have access
 159 11:50 < pak33m> but i dont know
 160 11:50 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has quit [Remote host closed the connection]
 161 11:51 < newz2000> dpm: do you have any experience in translating large blocks of text?
 162 11:51 < pak33m> maybe ill look for someone really good with lp hehehe
 163 11:51 < newz2000> Do we use launchpad for that?
 164 11:51 < newz2000> oh, wait, no we'll use the wiki
 165 11:51 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has joined #ubuntu-website
 166 11:51 < dpm> newz2000, ubuntu-docs for example. We always break things in paragraphs to ease the translation
 167 11:53 < pak33m> after i get home ill start looking around as far as lp to see what i can come up with to get the ball rolling as far as setting up the specs and such
 168 11:53 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has quit [Read error: Connection reset by peer]
 169 11:53 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has joined #ubuntu-website
 170 11:54 -!- alejandraobregon [~alejandra@91.189.88.12] has quit [Client Quit]
 171 11:54 < newz2000> ok. I'm happy to help you however I can
 172 11:54 < pak33m> cool
 173 11:54 < dpm> ok, I'd say at this point we could summarize and perhaps set a date for another meeting for review, what do you think?
 174 11:54 < pak33m> that works for me dpm
 175 11:55 -!- qense [~qense@ubuntu/member/qense] has joined #ubuntu-website
 176 11:55 < pak33m> so for now, i am going to work on expanding on the specs on the wiki page, and setting up a blueprint...
 177 11:55 < pak33m> ill pass those on to you two for review when im complete
 178 11:55 < dpm> pak33m, cool, remember that in the meantime if you need any help you just have to ping us
 179 11:55 < pak33m> sounds gread dpm
 180 11:56 < dpm> you can use the subpages under https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/ as a template for a spec
 181 11:56 < pak33m> ok... thanks for the link
 182 11:56 < dpm> there is a template somewhere in the wiki, but it'll take me some minutes to find
 183 11:58 < pak33m> ok..
 184 11:58 < newz2000> pak33m: when it comes time to start recruiting help, let me send the first email introducing you as the lead for this project.
 185 11:58 < pak33m> ok
 186 11:58 < pak33m> that sounds fine
 187 11:59 < dpm> pak33m, there it is https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SpecTemplate, you can take out the chunks that do not apply to this particular spec
 188 11:59 < pak33m> do we need another meeting prior to starting recruiting or do you think we can do it informally over irc/email?
 189 11:59 < pak33m> thanks dpm
 190 12:00 < newz2000> I'm ok w/ informal but I'm always here anyway. Happy to have another meeting if it helps dpm.
 191 12:00 < pak33m> ok.. well.. i say we leave it as next meeding tbd depending on need
 192 12:00 < newz2000> ok
 193 12:00 < dpm> pak33m, I'd say we schedule another meeting to review the spec. Would a week or two give you enough time for the spec, pak33m?
 194 12:00 < pak33m> ok... if you would like to do another meeting that is fine..
 195 12:01 < dpm> I think it would help fleshing things out a bit
 196 12:01 < pak33m> dpm: newz2000 the week of the 22nd would be best for me i think... not monday and not at 1300 est all week
 197 12:02 < newz2000> how about this same time two weeks from now?
 198 12:02 < pak33m> if you two can come up with something that works around that i should be good
 199 12:02 < pak33m> thats fine with me.. dpm
 200 12:02 < pak33m> ?
 201 12:02 < dpm> newz2000, ^ that sounds good to me
 202 12:02 < dpm> yes
 203 12:02 < pak33m> ok.. great
 204 12:02 < newz2000> cool.
 205 12:02 < pak33m> two weeks.. the 26th.. awesome
 206 12:03 < newz2000> thanks guys, thanks pak33m for leading this. I'm excited to see it come through.
 207 12:03 < dpm> pak33m, great!, thanks for driving this, as I say, you know where we are, just ping if you need any help until then
 208 12:03 < pak33m> thanks all :)
 209 12:04 < pak33m> cjohnston has now left my body and returned me back to it
 210 12:05 < dpm> :-)
 211 12:05 < cjohnston> awesome
 212 12:05 < cjohnston> i feel better now
 213 12:05 < dpm> ok, added the meeting to my calendar

Website/WebsiteLocalization/02122010 (last edited 2010-02-12 20:27:18 by chrisjohnston)