Launchpad Entry: appselection-foundations-n-robust-python-packaging
Robust Python Packaging
- cx freeze
- freezing critical tools that would break on upgrade
- bigger rollback problem w/upgrades; solve that and it takes this one with it?
- critical python apps to freeze?
- release upgrader - how big will it be frozen?
- wanted to get rid of symlink craziness
- last cycle worked on implementation for multiple version of Python to exist (will be in Python 3.2)
- ship 2.6 and 2.7? then backport PEP from 3.2
- can we get some testing done that would, e.g., show us that there are too many issues with 2.7 (and thus not worry about it)
backport effort: implementation should be fairly straight-forward, however tests and documentation will be non-trivial; would be off by default, enabled by a switch. lookup uses the 3.2 rules (pycache first).
- need to test universe
- ACTION: mvo - add a auto upgrade test profile that installs all/most of the python (including universe) and tries to upgrade it and import all modules from 2.6, 2.7 (or whatever is available in maverick)
- can't get rid of symlinks until extensions issue is addressed?
- not touch symlinks at package installation time, but okay to ship them with a binary package
- keep python 2 and 3 stacks separate
- get infrastructure into squeeze but modify packages in sq+1
- okay to run 2to3 at build time only
- keep source packages shared b/w 2 and 3 as long as we can, but split them if upstream stops shipping py2 versions