Please check the status of this specification in Launchpad before editing it. If it is Approved, contact the Assignee or another knowledgeable person before making changes.
Launchpad entry: https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/maemo-on-ubuntu
Packages affected: scratchbox, maemo-sdk-* (new packages)
Maemo development on Ubuntu is a suboptimal experience currently, as external packages need to be downloaded, and the Maemo SDK needs to be manually installed.
The purpose of this specification is to allow Scratchbox to be part of the 'universe', and maintained in a way that makes it easy for developers both from the open source community, and from Nokia, are able to use Ubuntu for Maemo development in a painless way.
- Inclusion of Scratchbox 0.9.8.8 into the 'universe' repository (or in other words, the latest version of scratchbox supported for development on the Maemo platform)
- Inclusion of the Maemo SDK on the next version of Ubuntu (feisty). How this will be done is one of the object of discussions of this specification.
- Both Scratchbox and Maemo SDK need to be supported to their latest versions, even after feisty (and subsequent releases) are launched. Updates must be provided via feisty-backports, and possibly feisty-proposed + feisty-updates.
Data preservation and migration
- How can Maemo SDK be successfully made available for Ubuntu developers?
- Via a stable URL which is used for download
- In both cases, the Maemo SDK license agreement must be shown to the user, and accepted before installation proceeds
- What repository (universe, multiverse, commercial) should be used for the Maemo SDK?
- Is a meta-package for easing installation of Maemo SDK worth the effort? (quite probably, yes)