Please check the status of this specification in Launchpad before editing it. If it is Approved, contact the Assignee or another knowledgeable person before making changes.
Launchpad Entry: kernel-build-system-feature-requests
Packages affected: linux-source
This should provide an overview of the issue/functionality/change proposed here. Focus here on what will actually be DONE, summarising that so that other people don't have to read the whole spec.
This section should include a paragraph describing the end-user impact of this change. It is meant to be included in the release notes of the first release in which it is implemented. (Not all of these will actually be included in the release notes, at the release manager's discretion; but writing them is a useful exercise.)
It is mandatory.
This should cover the _why_: why is this change being proposed, what justifies it, where we see this justified.
You can have subsections that better describe specific parts of the issue.
This section should describe a plan of action (the "how") to implement the changes discussed. Could include subsections like:
Should cover changes required to the UI, or specific UI that is required to implement this
Code changes should include an overview of what needs to change, and in some cases even the specific details.
- data migration, if any
- redirects from old URLs to new ones, if any
- how users will be pointed to the new way of doing things, if necessary.
It's important that we are able to test new features, and demonstrate them to users. Use this section to describe a short plan that anybody can follow that demonstrates the feature is working. This can then be used during CD testing, and to show off after release.
This need not be added or completed until the specification is nearing beta.
This should highlight any issues that should be addressed in further specifications, and not problems with the specification itself; since any specification with problems cannot be approved.
BoF agenda and discussion
- Updating binary-custom configs with updateconfigs target
- Re-use config answers during updateconfigs
- Fewer places to edit for adding a binary-custom flavor
- Finish off build scripts into something more useful
- Make secondary builds work better with headers installed in arbitrary locations
- Convert lrm to the standard build system
- Synchronise the debian build scripts in linux-source and related packages
- Detect use of in-kernel build system and print meaningful message instead of dying horribly in non-obvious ways