Launchpad Entry: desktop-o-quickly
Packages affected: quickly
Prior art: 11.04 spec
Quickly is a tool for creating applications based on templates. There's always more work we can do to make it better and keep pace with the platform.
Ubuntu is focused on opportunistic developer to create quick and fun apps for its platform.
Jono don't want to bother about manually pushing an SSH/GPG key to Launchpad, creating a PPA, or signing the CoC.
Brian wants quickly edit to use all the needed options for developing, but doesn't want to clutter his gedit environment when only writing a note.
Chris doesn't want to use Quickly on the command line.
Elaine wants to use Quickly to develop for Fedora.
Jill wants to use Quickly to develop a library that can be used by more than just Python apps.
- Tighter Launchpad integration
- Push GPG key
- Push SSH key
- Sign CoC
- Create PPA
- Dynamic gedit plugin activation
- Port to PyGI (Python Gobject Introspection)
- Port to GTK+ 3
- Add optional libunity support (ala current optional indicator support)
- Integrate with at least one IDE
- Keep it simple first iteration, just to find changes we'd need to make to have this be easy
- Add a Fedora/RPM template
- Make it easier to write such templates (could stand to refactor template code a bit)
- Add a Vala library template
- Who would be interested in Fedora template?
- Need to find stakeholder
- Which IDE?
- Migration to PyGI and GTK+ 3 is not automatic
- 'upgrade' warning?
Notes from UDS
#uds-o #track #topic #quickly Backlog Tighter Launchpad integration Push GPG key Push SSH key Sign CoC Create PPA Dynamic gedit plugin activation Tread Water Port to PyGI (Python Gobject Introspection) Port to GTK+ 3 Port to Python 3 (can delay a cycle) Add optional libunity support (ala current optional indicator support) New Work Integrate with at least one IDE Keep it simple first iteration, just to find changes we'd need to make to have this be easy Add a Fedora/RPM template Make it easier to write such templates (could stand to refactor template code a bit) Add a Vala library template Add a Unity Lens template Add a Qt Quick template Discussion Topics Who would be interested in Fedora template? Need to find stakeholder Which IDE? Anjuta Eclipse Qt Creator Others? Geany (http://www.geany.org/) +1 Migration to PyGI and GTK+ 3 is not automatic 'upgrade' warning? py2to3 is not "safe" Maybe a quick talk in documentation or program output to user about bzr for when the user needs more than "quickly save" Provide topic based help Maybe have submitubuntu warn about postinst or other debian/ modifications [mterry] Confirm nautilus plugin works [didrocks] Stamp version from which your project was created (or rather, which feature set/gtk2/gtk3) [xdatap1] Qt Quick template [xdatap1] Documentation review [xdatap1] Translation string review [xdatap1] Show us presentation slides from Italian Loco [didrocks] Hide "quickly upgrade" command [lallenlowe, 3v1n0] Look into and work on Vala templates [mterry] Create milestone in LP then use "quickly release" to see what breaks
Leave any comments here please!
- I'd love a Lens template so people can really start making a bunch of these. It was on the radar for 11.04 but never made it. -- jorge 2011-05-05 03:37:25