Please check the status of this specification in Launchpad before editing it. If it is Approved, contact the Assignee or another knowledgeable person before making changes.
Provide enhanced switch support for onBoard. This allows you to enter text and navigate the Gnome desktop using a single (or more) switch input device.
Some users cannot use a normal mouse or keyboard but only a single switch operated by light touch, air pressure, etc. onBoard currently has very basic support for entering text via switch operation, but the potential is much greater.
- Simon uses a single switch to operate his computer. When properly configured he can surf the web, write emails and send commands to his X-10-based environmental control system, to turn on lights, open doors and windows.
- Desktop navigation using AT-SPI
- GOK reads widget information from an application and displays it on-screen within GOK, which can me controlled by switch input. An alternative approach is to perform operations directly on the host application the way at-poke does.
- Enhanced switch input methods including configurable scanning sequences and multiple switches.
- Investigate what the 2-3 most efficient input methods are for 1 and two switches and implement those.
- Get suitable switch hardware for testing.